When an appliance makes an unexpected noise, it’s enough to stop you in your tracks. So when you hear your Whirlpool dryer making noise you’ve never heard before, you may think an immediate repair is in order. In many cases, this is an easy problem to solve yourself though. From clicking to squealing, we’ll decipher a Whirlpool dryer running loud and determine the right fix.
Whirlpool Dryer Making Noise? Here’s How to Silence It
If you notice your Whirlpool dryer making noise or your dryer takes multiple cycles to dry a complex repair isn’t always required. We’ll help decode the most common sounds when a Whirlpool dryer makes noise while tumbling so you can implement a fast solution.
Dryer Making Clicking Sound
What can cause it: Understanding the pros and cons of gas and electric dryers includes knowing that a gas dryer component can cause clicking sounds. This sound often occurs when the gas valve opens, allowing gas to flow to the dryer’s burner and heat the air. This happens intermittently throughout a drying cycle and is considered part of normal functioning.
Dryer Makes Scraping Noise
What can cause it: Scraping sounds while your dryer is running typically occur when small objects become caught in the dryer drum seam. Coins, screws or nails can fall out of pockets and become trapped in these seams at the front or back of the dryer.
How to fix it: Turn the dryer off and inspect the seams for loose objects, removing any that are found. Check the pockets of clothing before washing or drying to prevent small objects from being caught.
Dryer Rattling or Knocking
What can cause it: When you hear a Whirlpool dryer rattling noise there could be several possible causes:
- Tumbling buttons or zippers in the dryer drum
- Objects resting on the dryer may rattle with its vibrations
- If the washer is touching the dryer its motion may cause rattling during a wash cycle
- A dryer positioned on a pedestal can cause items in the pedestal drawer to rattle during operation
How to fix it:
- Check your pockets before washing or drying clothes, removing loose objects
- Don’t rest objects on top of the dryer while it’s operating
- Leave space between the washer and dryer
- Remove items from the pedestal drawer during a drying cycle
Dryer Makes Thump Noise
What can cause it: A Whirlpool dryer making noise that sounds like thumping can also have several possibilities:
- Items have clumped together during a drying cycle, especially large items like towels and bedding
- Tennis shoes are being tumbled in the dryer
- The dryer hasn’t been recently used and the drum rollers have flattened
How to fix it:
- Stop the drying cycle and untangle twisted items. Add large items loosely and reduce the number of large items per drying cycle
- Avoid drying tennis shoes in the dryer, opting for air-drying instead
- Let the dryer run for several minutes to enable drum rollers to regain their shape and stop the noise
Loud Dryer Pounding Noise
What can cause it: When drum rollers become worn out they’re unable to help the dryer tumble smoothly and a loud pounding or rumbling noise may result.
How to fix it: To access and evaluate the drum rollers remove the front and top panels of the dryer, as well as the dryer drum. If the rollers appear worn, they need to be replaced. Even if just one roller is worn we recommend replacing all of them at the same time.
Whirlpool Dryer is Squealing
What can cause it: A squealing sound should not be ignored, as it can indicate one of the following malfunctions:
- Wear and tear to the idler pulley
- A broken drive belt
- Worn drum glides
How to fix it: These components cannot be repaired and are best replaced via a professional service.
We know a Whirlpool dryer making noise can halt your laundry routine. For fast dryer service in Charleston call Aviv Service Today!