If you find yourself re-washing items by hand after unloading the dishwasher, it likely isn’t cleaning like it should. Why is my Frigidaire dishwasher not cleaning dishes well? Improper loading can block spray arms and restrict water and detergent flow. Try these Frigidaire dishwasher troubleshooting tips to improve performance and give your dish towel a rest.
Frigidaire Dishwasher Not Cleaning Like It Should? This May Be Why.
While broken parts are always a possibility, a Frigidaire dishwasher not cleaning sufficiently usually has a DIY fix. Here’s how to pinpoint the problem and find the right solution.
1. Not Loading Dishes Correctly
Whether it’s due to overcrowding or using the racks incorrectly, improper loading is a common reason a Frigidaire dishwasher leaves dishes dirty. Some simple adjustments to your loading habits can achieve better results.
Follow these loading tips for cleaner dishes:
- Avoid overloading: Too many items in each rack can prevent water and detergent from reaching every item. It also increases the chance that a protruding object will impede the spray arm’s rotation.
- Allow space between dishes: Place one dish per slot so water, air, and detergent can circulate.
- Place cups and bowls upside down, between tines: This secures them appropriately and ensures proper rinsing and draining.
- Load flatware correctly: Alternate forks, spoons, and knives next to each other to prevent nesting.
2. Dishwasher Requires Cleaning
Without regular cleanings, food particles, detergent residue, and even mold and mildew can quickly accumulate, leaving dishes dirty when a wash cycle ends. We recommend cleaning specific dishwasher components on a monthly basis for more efficient performance.
Here’s how to clean the filter, spray arms, and tub to eliminate buildup:
- Filter: Rinse the main Frigidaire dishwasher filter and fine filter under running water, brushing away stubborn stains with a fine-bristle brush. While pre-rinsing dishes isn’t necessary, scraping off large food particles prior to loading can prevent filter clogs that leave dishes dirty.
- Spray arms: Wondering how to clean Frigidaire dishwasher spray arm? After removing both arms, rinse them under running water, gently scrubbing mold or mildew with a clean sponge and dish soap. Unclog spray armholes with a straightened pin or toothpick.
- Tub: To break down mold and mildew, pour 1 cup of white vinegar in the base of the empty dishwasher and run a normal wash cycle.
3. Problem With Dishwasher Detergent
Though detergent is essential for proper cleaning, there are several issues that can prevent it from doing its job.
The following detergent problems can result in a Frigidaire dishwasher not cleaning dishes:
- Incorrect amounts: Using too much detergent can leave residue on dishes and glassware while using too little will still leave them dirty. Consult your Frigidaire dishwasher user manual to determine how much dishwasher detergent to use for your particular wash load.
- Low-quality detergent: Always use the highest quality detergent possible to achieve the best results. Make sure the detergent is stored in a cool, dry place and used before it expires.
- Broken detergent dispenser: If the detergent dispenser is stuck closed or doesn’t open completely, detergent won’t dispense properly or at all. Check the dispenser for damage or blockages that can prevent detergent from dispensing. While most blockages can be removed, a damaged dispenser must be replaced.
We also strongly suggest using a rinse aid product like JetDry in your dishwasher to prevent white spots on your clean dishes. Rinse aid helps water run off of your dishes so they dry more easily and leave fewer mineral deposits on dish surfaces.
4. Insufficient Dishwasher Water Supply
Without consistent access to hot water and the right water pressure, you’ll find your Frigidaire dishwasher leaves residue on dishes.
Here’s how to assess your dishwasher’s water supply:
- Check the spray arm: A blocked or damaged spray arm can reduce water access. While blockages may be removed, a damaged spray arm requires replacement.
- Inspect the water inlet valve: This valve opens and closes to allow water to flow to the dishwasher from your home supply. If the valve is damaged or shows no continuity with multimeter testing, it must be replaced. A water inlet valve also requires a certain amount of water pressure to work properly. If the valve isn’t damaged and has the proper continuity, you may need to assess your home’s water pressure.
- Run the hot water: Before starting a wash cycle, run the hot water in the kitchen sink for 1-2 minutes. This ensures that hot water is readily available when you’re ready to start the dishwasher.
Is your Frigidaire dishwasher not cleaning sufficiently even after these troubleshooting tips? A professional dishwasher repair service may need to assess the problem. Schedule your expert assessment with Aviv Service Today!