Do you hate doing dishes by hand? So does everyone else! That’s why dishwashers were invented. Unfortunately, not everything can go in the dishwasher. If you want to make sure that your dishes come out clean and undamaged, you need to know what items are not dishwasher safe. We’ll discuss some of the most common items that should not be put in a dishwasher. Stay tuned for more tips on what can’t go in the dishwasher and how to keep your dishes clean!
Check Out What Items Are Not Dishwasher Safe
Why aren’t all dishes and cutlery safe to clean in the dishwasher? In some cases, the material itself doesn’t respond well to the elements inside a running dishwasher. Other items can be dulled or worn down by the cleaning process.
Keep These Out of the Dishwasher
We’ll start with the obvious; NEVER put any gadgets or electronic devices in the dishwasher! That means you, hand blender. Along with electronics though, keep these common items out of the dishwasher:
- Cast Iron Pans – Cast iron pans are not dishwasher safe and can rust if you wash them in the dishwasher.
- Wooden Cutting Boards – Wooden cutting boards can warp in the dishwasher and should be washed by hand with soap and water.
- Wooden Utensils – Wooden utensils can also warp in the dishwasher, often making them unusable.
- Aluminum Pans – Aluminum pans can discolor in the dishwasher. This happens because the dishwasher’s high temperatures cause a chemical reaction with the aluminum.
- Non-Stick Pans – Non-stick pans can also be damaged in the dishwasher. The high temperatures can cause the non-stick coating to break down and flake off.
- Knives – Knives are high on the list of what items are not dishwasher safe since they can quickly become dull when they bang around in a dishwasher.
- Crystal Glasses – The heat and chemicals can cause them to break, which is not only frustrating but also expensive to replace.
- Pottery – Pottery can break in the dishwasher if it is not rated as dishwasher safe.
If you’re not sure whether you’re working with dishwasher-safe cookware, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and wash it by hand. Be sure to check for a not dishwasher safe symbol as well as washing instructions on your dishware so you can know what items are and are not dishwasher safe.
Bonus: Dishwasher Usage Tips
Now that you know what can you put in a dishwasher, let’s talk about how to best use your dishwasher!
Here are some tips to get the most out of your dishwasher:
- Load your dishwasher properly. This means putting the larger items in the back and smaller items in the front. Check out more of our dishwasher loading tips!
- Don’t overload your dishwasher. This can prevent your dishes from getting clean.
- Use the right detergent. Be sure to use a dishwasher safe detergent that is designed for automatic dishwashers.
- Use the right cycle. Depending on what type of dishes you’re washing, you’ll want to use a different cycle. For example, if you’re washing delicate items, you’ll want to use a gentle cycle.
By following these tips, you should know what items are not dishwasher safe and be able to get sparkling clean dishes out of your dishwasher! Stay tuned for more tips on using your dishwasher, and call Aviv Service Today if you ever need a dishwasher repair you can count on.